The SKA Pathfinder Radio Continuum Survey (SPARCS) Working Group began back in 2011 with the following goals:
- To coordinate developments of techniques, to avoid duplication of effort and ensure that each project has access to best practices;
- To hold cross-project discussions of the specific science goals, to ensure cross- fertilisation of ideas and optimum survey strategies;
- To coordinate the surveys in their choice of area, depth, location on the sky, and other survey parameters, to maximise the scientific return from the surveys.
- To distill the SKA pathfinder experiences as an input to the SKA
This was back when many of the pathfinders were still being built. Now in 2024 we have multiple low and mid frequency instruments and surveys up and running and producing amazing science.
We have learned a lot about calibration, imaging, source finding, and more; we have created and implemented entire new algorithms, and applied what we have learnt to continuum science, to study exoplanets and the Milky Way, star formation across time, distant AGN, massive galaxy clusters, and more.
Now, with SKA construction having begun, we are really pushing towards the the SKA era and with that we present
SPARCS XII : Pushing Towards the Final Frontier
The meeting will be a hybrid format with both in-person and online options available. In-Person will be held in Bologna, Italy May 6th -10th 2024 hosted by INAF.
- Registration Opens - November 17 2023
- Abstract Submission Opens - November 17 2023
- Abstract Submission Closes - January 17 2024
- Talk announcements - End of January 2024
We note the in-person limit is 80 people so we encourage you to register early. Once that is hit, those registering after for in-person will be put on a wait list.